Super soft chocolate peanut butter cupcakes filled with smooth peanut butter and decorated with a dark chocolate buttercream and crushed butterfinger bar.
Peanut Butter is something I came to love a few years ago. Pretty late I know, but I was sort of unadventurous when it came to food until I moved to the UK (and my boyfriend made me try other food). I didn’t like trying new food at all and was veeeery picky (still am, ha).
So I love my peanut butter either on toast with some banana, or in a cake, cupcakes or macarons. The latter three is strongly preferred (because chocolate is usually involved)… and i love chocolate!
The cupcakes are very chocolatey and soft. I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar because I love how rich it is. You can use either.
If you prefer crunchy peanut butter as a filling you can substitute the smooth peanut butter with that.
Be careful when you fold in the egg white. Folding to hard or stirring will deflate the egg white again which means no fluffy chocolate cupcakes.
The cupcake cases I used are from Squires Kitchen in the colour True Blue. I bought a huge stash a while ago and love how they don’t get soggy when baking (like many other brands).
The buttercream recipe yields enough frosting for 12 to 16 cupcakes so you may want to half the recipe depending how much frosting you want on each cupcake.
Recipe Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 60 grams dark chocolate
- 45 grams soft butter
- 80 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 90 grams flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- pinch of salt
- 125 ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100 grams smooth peanut butter
- 175 grams dark chocolate (72% cocoa)
- 225 grams soft butter
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 250 grams icing sugar
- chopped Butterfinger bar to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 170 Celsius. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over water bath. Leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg yolk and beat again.
- Add the chocolate and mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a jug combine milk and vanilla extract.
- Add one third of the flour mix and a little bit of the milk to the butter mix. Mix again.
- Repeat until flour and milk is used up. Scrap the side of the bowl occasionally.
- Whip the egg white to a soft peak and gently fold it through the chocolate batter.
- Spoon the batter in the muffin cases, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes then remove from the muffin pan.
- Once completely cooled core the cupcakes with an apple corer.
- Heat the peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds and fill each cupcake.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a water bath. Leave to cool.
- Beat the butter, milk and icing sugar until creamy.
- Add the chocolate and beat until completely mixed through. You may need to scrap the bowl a few times to catch all the left over butter bits.
- Fit a piping bag with a nozzle and decorate each cupcake with buttercream.
- Sprinkle a dash of crushed butterfinger on top and enjoy.