Chocolate cupcakes with a creamy white chocolate centre and purple buttercream.
I have been wanting to post today’s recipe for awhile… after all it has been over a month since I posted these on my Instagram account. You know how it is- something always gets in the way. I’m really good at ‘procrastibaking’. I rather bake than sit at my desk. (Even though I should do the latter a bit more often to fill this website!)
I had the idea for these chocolate cupcakes with the white chocolate filling months ago because I haven’t made a white chocolate filling for cupcakes before and white chocolate is totally my thing! I love it! So this recipe was long overdue.
If you prefer an all white cupcake instead of the chocolate sponge, use your favourite vanilla cupcake recipe! I guess it depends if you like chocolate as much as I (or we) do. If you do, let’s be pals!
So make these cupcakes even prettier I sacrificed some of my Sweetapolita sprinkles. I am sure I am not the only one not wanting to use these because they are just too darn pretty. Just look at them! It can’t be wrong to just look at them all the time, can it? I wished I had waited with my sprinkles order last year because just after I ordered Rosie added all these (even more) gorgeous sprinkles with gold and silver sprinkles to her shop. I literally want all of them!
I don’t think the ones I used are available anymore but there’s so many to choose from you’ll be spoilt for choice. Find her sprinkles shop here.
Let’s get to the recipe!
For the white chocolate filling I recommend Green & Black’s white cooking chocolate. It is super delicious!
White Chocolate Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100ml hot water
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 75g soft butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 30ml whole milk
- 60g cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 120g soft butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 30ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- purple food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 180 centigrade and line a muffin tray with 6 cupcakes cases.
- Combine the hot water and cocoa powder and stir. Leave to cool slightly.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a second bowl until very creamy.
- Add the vanilla and beat again. Occasionally scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and beat again.
- Now add some of the flour mixture and alternate with the liquid cocoa until it is all used up.
- Spoon the batter in the cupcake cases and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes then remove from the muffin pan. Let cool completely.
- Gently heat the milk and pour it over the white chocolate. If the chocolate doesn't melt completely, put the bowl in the microwave for a few seconds. Leave to cool slightly.
- Now add the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Using a spoon or apple corer carefully core the cupcakes.
- Spoon the white chocolate cream in the core, filling it to the top.
- Put aside and prepare the buttercream.
- Beat the butter until creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and some milk if the buttercream seems very stiff.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Now add your food colouring if you're using any.
- Add more milk if the buttercream still seems hard.
- The smoother it is the easier it will be to pipe.
- Fit a piping bag with a nozzle and decorate the cupcakes.